11 Aug 2008

Something optimistic

I don’t post too many notes about my private life here. Well, hardly any, to be honest. Different things had motivated me to start blogging, but I decided to focus on more serious issues than an one person’s life. Let’s keep those stories for my official biography ;) This exception makes a rule.

It was very late last night, when I met someone, whose perception of living in England is exactly the same as mine is. Funny enough, I had been commencing my third year here last month and, with all my happiness of being here and thankfulness to this land, ever since no-one understood my complains about local way of existence and behaviour. Not that accurate to my expectancy and standards, what has to be said. That young person needed less than a week in this country to share same thoughts and describe it with the same words. As I clearly saw, I may not be that weird yet. At least, I won’t be the only one, although our incidental meeting occurred in quite specific circumstances. A train station simply means many directions to go to, different trains to take. Quick, not lasting long.

But would have I mentioned that story here if I hadn’t seen “Lost in Translation” movie few hours later? It wasn’t planned, either. I was randomly called by my mate to visit a new house. “Do I fancy to watch a move? Well, why not! So what do you have?”. I had watch Sofia Coppola’s movie before, but politely couldn’t refuse. Having last night’s memories still fresh, it was nice to find many similarities to movie main characters. Actually, it was like to see my own story on the screen. Quite inspiriting, I have to admit. Living abroad in new culture, among new people, being worried of losing important words and feelings in translation, having interlingual relationships. For those, how haven’t seen this movie yet, I strongly recommend it.

Remember: positive, warm and optimistic (movie) emotions don’t always come with stereotypic big boom boom happy endings. It may also apply to this note ;-)

I’m sorry for bothering those, who were expecting a sports note here. With all my commitments and time restrictions, I can’t afford to have two blogs, hence I put everything here. As I wanted to share this particular note with people I spend most of my life recently, it’s written in English. Cheers to all of you fellas!

PS. All songs you can hear now (“Alone in Kyoto” by AIR, “On the Subway” by Brian Reitzell and Roger J. Manning Jr., “When Doves Cry” by Patti Smith) are from “Lost in Translation” movie. Enjoy! And don’t get scared by Bill Murray’s version of Roxy Music’s “More than this”!

PS2. Blimey, how really does sound it?
Photographer: Are you drinking, no?
Bob: Am I drinking? As soon as I'm done.

Bob Harris singing "More than this"

No comments: