6 Feb 2008

XLII Super Bowl memo

Although I do not have favourite team in the NFL, I feel sympathy to New England Patriots. It is not because they won every single game before the Super Bowl (in fact, they did it), I was at the Gillette Stadium two years from now; Massachusetts is a lovely state and Boston in particular as a city.

This is the death of the dynasty”, said Giants’ linebacker Antonio Pierce after the Super Bowl. I do not believe he is right, however I am not gathered either with the Patriots defeat and not completing “a perfect season”. It happens and the final game of the year was astonishing, worth to be the most important. The Giants’ touchdown and whole play before it in the last minute of the game will be remembered for years, it was so fascinating and quite unbelievable. Eli Manning showed to all football fans what commitment and “never-say-never” attitude means. Really great MVP and hero of the night, but the were more winners (and losers) in Phoenix.

Giants started their way for the Super bowl in London, at the Wembley Stadium and quickly I realised how many people here in Europe started watching the NFL games. It was excellent decision and raised (again!) question about the expansion of American leagues into Europe and (maybe) other continents. Czech or German hockey in the NHL? Spanish or Italian basketball clubs in the NBA? NFL for England? It all sounds possible!

Such a pity the NFL season is so short, and it is over now, we have to wait until autumn. By this time I need to understand all American football rules and get to know its history, so far I thank Pete for all his patience to explain me what it is about! I will keep fingers crossed for his Washington Redskins team next season!

No comments: