6 Mar 2008

Tough life of away fans in the States

Just a quick post, I have just found apparently quite interesting website and an article on it. Since my first trip over the Pond to Boston and the MLS game I attended, I have been wondering how difficult it is to be a sports supporter in the USA.

Let’s use an example, a random one. Supporting Boston Red Sox, how many people can afford to go and watch their away game on the West Coast or even Florida? Is it actually possible to get a ticket for those games, although there is 160+ in season? What if you support the NFL team, which play no more than 7-8 home games per season? Now football, pardon! soccer.

Football fans all over the planet are similar. More or less, but always mad about their teams. It applies to everyone of them, either from Asia, South and Central Americas, Africa, Australia (you have to watch it!) or Europe. North America is no exception. However, the country huge as the continent, it is pretty difficult, expensive and never easy. That is why I was pleased to hear a couple of month ago they have taken the challenge and more and more often you can see away fans at the MLS games!

This is why I am so surprised reading this article at the Pitch Invasion website. I do really recommend it to everyone who wants to understand difficulty of a fan’s life.

Three more things for my hidden love to soccer:
1) More official MLS fans' blog
2) Less official MLS fans' blog ;-)
3) So they do it in America! Impressive.

No comments: