6 Mar 2008

In the middle of the Chelsea month

It seems to have been a better idea not to post here a note straight after the Carling Cup final I attended. Our performances since 24th February are far better than on that cold Sunday at Wembley.

Generally speaking, that was one of the worst Chelsea days every. Probably not only in my memory, but also those who follow the Chels for years. It is an another factor behind my decision not to write my thoughts to early. Let emotions fall down.

Coming back to the Carling Cup final game, I was expecting a very good day out. I got colours, camera and a piece of paper with places where I wanted to go before the kick-off; all planned with details and a lot of optimism. Basically, I managed to do it all, including some drinks at Bond Street in London and in South Kenton. Moreover, I took quite few pictures (some of them can be found at my facebook profile) and really enjoyed short conversations with many Chelsea fans.

My place at the Wembley Stadium was not to bad, either. Right on the top, it gave me an opportunity to stand for entire game. Such a pity, not all Chelsea supporters did have that chance, hence most of them were sitting from the KO till very final whistle. I still believe it is possible to sit and sing, although the Chelsea End in that unlucky day did not give me any new arguments. It was embarrassingly quiet, without any atmosphere, or a support for players and staff down there at the pitch. From the beginning of the match, Tottenham players were much more focused on the win, and motivated to achieve it. So were their supporters.

The truth about the final is: they did not win it - we simply lost it. Right at the beginning or maybe even earlier. Many others (including even objective journalists) wrote a lot about man-management, chosen tactics, motivation during the game, I do agree with them all and looking forward to find a “right person for the right place”, as José Mourinho once said, however I do not remember its context now.

After the final whistle blew, as soon as possible I left the ground. It is an ancient saying, we spend defeats alone, and so I did that night. However, at the end of the day it would be interesting and nice to see one team’s fans celebrating the Carling Cup trophy as like as winning the World Cup. Chelsea won so many competitions in the last four years, while it was first major (major?!) trophy for Tottenham in nine years.

A week later they got beaten heavily against Birmingham City, mainly thanks to excellent performance of Mikael Forssell, former Chelsea starlet, and one of my favourites. The same day we beat West Ham United away with four-goal difference and playing ten against eleven. Last night we booked our place in the last eight stage of the UEFA Champions’ League winning three-nil to Greek champions, Olympiakos. That few thousands of Chelsea followers who saw both games must have enjoyed it and I really wish I could have been there.

I do hope players will keep the level they play on now, because within next two weeks I will follow the Chels literally all over England, mile after mile..

Fri 7thAston Villa Youth at the Bridge (approx. 120 miles return)
Sat 8thBarnsley at Oakwell (approx. 500 miles return via Doncaster)
Wed 12thDerby at the Bridge (approx. 120 miles return)
Sat 15thSunderland at Stadium of Light (approx. 700 miles return [sic!])
Wed 23rdTottenham at White Hart Lane (approx. 140 miles return)

According to the Google Maps, I may do approximately 1600 miles. Day-trip to Bruges, Belgium on Tuesday 22nd (300 miles return) sounds like nothing. It is going to be the Blue marathon!

No comments: