26 Oct 2007

When the NFL came to Europe...

It’s been really busy week for me. Reason? Not any of mine scheduled seminars or lectures. Neither any essays nor anything connected to my course at the University, but of course, my passion.

On Wednesday I was in London, so it happened on Friday too. I attended a so-called seminar at Birkbeck College led by Dick Maxwell, former Senior Director of Broadcasting for the NFL. On Friday I had a pleasure to be at Sports Management Worldwide meeting, where I met (surprisingly!) Rick Harrow. Everything started when I was in Montréal in May and found an interesting book in the only one open-in-Sunday book store. Latter this summer I read the “When the game is on the line” book from-cover-to-cover, it was really fascinating! Harrow is responsible for e.g. team called Miami Heat and was the pioneer of sports management/law. Nowadays you can watch/listen to him on ESPN or Fox where he is an expert, still dealing with top leagues and clubs. But Dr Lynn Lashbrook was the one who tried to persuade me the most to join SMWW during the Friday meeting. He is also interesting personality – the President and Founder of this organization. Looks good, doesn’t?

They all came to London this week to attend first NFL game outside North America. Sounds interesting not only for me, Sunday game between NY Giants and Miami Dolphins (Mr Horrow took part in their history too!) at Wembley Stadium has been already sold out (90k spectators!). American sports are getting more and more popular in Europe, there is a gossip that next year NHL opening game will be held in Praha, Czech Republic! And I have recently read an article suggesting the NBA commissioner to open 6 new franchises in Europe within next 10 years! That’s why it may be extremely helpful to pay at least $1000 and take a course offered by SMWW.

This and few other subjects I have to thing over during next couple of months, Mr Horrow promised me he is going to have an e-mail conversation with me soon, I keep his word!

In the meantime, I highly recommend you all to watch Sunday big game Giants vs. Dolphins! Enjoy it, as I will!

1 comment:

Lynn Lashbrook said...

Hi Robert-
Dr. Lashbrook enjoyed meeting you last night! You have a great future in sports and I hope we get to enjoy you as one of our students soon! Rick Horrow also speaks in our live audio chats ocassionally, so if you take a Sports Management Worldwide training course you will speak to him again soon.
Enjoy the NFL game on Sunday, Lynn will be in the Royal Box with the NFL Commissioner and several high ranking sports executives.
Cheers!