26 Jan 2012

EN / Day at the Lords’

The House of Lords, not the cricket ground, of course! Somehow, the game still seems to be more mysterious to me than the ceremony of politics between these life peers in the South wing of Westminster Palace.
Unlike the House of Commons, I have often overlooked the events in the House of Lords and, despite being an Anglophile, never really got it beyond: “It’s just like the Polish Senate but people there are not elected but usually appointed for a job for life, don’t represent constituents but review what is going on in the HoC and the Government instead,” to put it simplistically.
(“Huh? Polish Senate?” If you raised your eyebrows, here is the Wikipedia LINK.)
Yet, with a convenient excuse of my family’s visit to the capital, I took them to Parliament for an afternoon. The House of Commons, shortly after the PMQ, was quite straight forward and while sitting at the public gallery, I was that geeky expert explaining others who is who, what is going on and why things are as they are. They must have felt relieved that my Politics undergraduate degree has actually borne some fruits.
However, when we went to the House of Lords to watch today’s debate, I spent the first 15 minutes reading the booklet that was on hand. Even though I had watched some HoL debates in the past, sitting there without BBC Parliament explaining who is who and is going on, it felt like a completely new experience. An exciting one, too!
We were lucky enough to attend, amongst others, part of the Welfare Reform Bill debate – a big story that made a headline news in the evening as the Coalition Government “suffered its biggest defeat in the Lords since being elected” (LINK). At least this is what they say in the media as it had seemed quite straight forward and common sense when listening to some arguments.
It is not the legislative role but the ceremony of the proceedings in the HoL that took me by surprised. I have to hail Parliament for producing very informative brochures and materials answering FAQs of visitors. The staff is also extremely friendly and willing to explain all possible questions – even if you ask too many of them, as it happened to me on this occasion. (If any staff member of HoP reads it, thank you for your patience!)
The visit encouraged me to do some further research. I was impressed with Lord de Mauley, even though I have quickly realised that we may not have many views in common when I googled him a bit at home (LINK). Then, few links further, I have also come across a speech given by Lord James of Blackheath a while ago and asked myself how come I have not heard about it before. In a genuinely honest way, it seems at least, Lord James spoke about a mysterious “Foundation X” and their plans towards Britain. A truly fascinating X-Files story! (LINK)
Finally, inspired by not only what I have heard but also how, I find myself now at 1 o’clock in the morning researching how to speak with such a beautiful RP accent. At that stage I thought it would be a nicer idea to share some excitement from the visit to the House of Lords on the blog instead. I am somehow worried that the RP may be a step too far in my acclimatisation here. But I'm not giving up the hope easily!
One thing for sure – I will keep a closer look at what is going on on the red seats of the House of Lords from now on. But, for once, can someone please explain to me why some Lords sit between the Lord Speaker and the Despatch Box in such an uncomfortable position? Baffling!

No comments: