5 May 2008

Here we are, Moscow!

I have just realised, the calendar on my desk is still on February 14th, while it’s almost May 6th! These are just some days, or pages, but the significant is how fast the time is moving, how many I would like to describe, tell you.

In the last week-or-so, I saw Chelsea still fighting for the League title, beating ManUtd and Newcastle (the Geordie game on the Sky only), I saw Liverpool on the knees after very final whistle on the late Wednesday night and joyful Chelsea people (players, staff, fans) celebrating the first UEFA Champions’ League Final ever in the Club’s history. That’s all Chelsea-wise things. Additionally, I had an opportunity to ask few questions to Roberto Donadoni, the Italy national team head-coach, at Birkbeck College in London (Monday). Later on that week, I attended the conference related to feet-drain (stands for brain-drain) movements in the contemporary world and listened to great guest speakers. Is it over? Not really. Sunday comes with Crystal Palace clinching their play-off position, after pretty easy win at Selhurst Park against Burnley. Yes, I was there too!

Having so many events to tell about, I would rather to quote Monty Pythons, “And now for something completely digital”. I am adding to the “recommended” list on the right-hand side, a new link. Michal Okonski is a guy I honestly never before heard about, moreover he supports Spurs!, but I was really into what he writes and his way of the English football’s perception meets mine. Somehow! He has just started, that’s why it is not a challenge to read all his articles (if you know Polish!). If you have spare time, go for it. HERE

Yes yes yes we made it! This time more than ever before I deserved to say “we” as I lost my voice for a several occasion and took part in our road to Moscow.

“Que será, será. Whatever will be, will be. We’re going to Luzhniki!

“We all follow the Chelsea, over land and sea… and Moscow!

I took about 17 pictures, after Wednesday I will up-load them and give a link here. The atmosphere at the ground was magnificent, the final was well expected and deserved, although I hate to mention a “to deserve something” phrase in the football-wise cases, it does not work like that fortunately. Or unfortunately, watch this.

Rafael Benítez, what has not been mentioned anywhere so far, did absolutely to make his the third final in the four years. He had even told his players to pick “another” side of the ground, what means to attack on the Shed in the first half. Simply to annoy Chelsea players who like to attack in the final minutes of the game towards the Matthew Harding Stand. Nevertheless, all three goals Chelsea scored at the MH indeed.

Avram Grant deserved to be given a credit after that game, even because he achieved more in the Champions League at Chelsea than José Mourinho. Unthinkable, I know. But I still believe, hope, and beg that he will be off by the end of the season. My article about Grant’s role at Chelsea was published in the several places and, being honest, I am pleased to read all the positive comments and voices of support my view. Although it is in Polish, I do hope some of you may fancy to read it. Below, there is a link to iGol website.

Avram Grant - menadzer buforowy

In the same place, I would like you to read another manager-related article. This time about the departure of Marek Zub from Widzew Lodz, and the crucial consequences of his time in this club. Although he is gone now, Widzew may be relegated straight to the Third Division (from the First one) in the next weekend, “when Saturday comes”, as they used to refer.

Krajobraz po bitwie przed bitwa

Enjoy your reading; I hope I will be back here pretty soon!